The social contract of Life, Liberty, and Property, derived from the Bible and defined for us by famed philosopher John Locke, is the legal foundation to a free society. Without it, a free society falters into corruption, tyranny, despair, and eventually failure. The perversion and abuse of this social contract by the very institutions put in place to protect it is what has gone fundamentally wrong in America today!
All that we measurably own will fall under one of the three categories of Life, Liberty, or Property. We certainly have other things too, such as our beliefs, opinions, and ideas, but those things are not objectively measurable, and are therefore outside the realm of legal rule.
We either have our life and/or health (our quality of life), or we do not. We are either free and have liberty, or we are not. We either have our property and possessions, or we do not. It is black and white, easily measurable.
All of our laws are (as intended by the original authors of the U.S. Constitution) centered around respecting the life, liberty, and property belonging to others.
If we intentionally, or accidentally, do harm to the life, liberty, or property of others, our laws dictate that we will owe them restitution to restore them as best as possible to their original condition. If I harmed you, the restitution may involve the taking of my life, liberty, and/or property to again make you whole.
If I hit your car and damage it, I will need to pay for your repairs. If I take your life, the state may by rule of law take my liberty (put me in jail) or may take my life (death penalty). If I kidnap you, I have taken your freedom. As restitution, the state may take my freedom, and may also take property to reimburse you the victim for the intrusion of your liberty. The judicial branch of our government is charged with appropriate restitution for each case, based on both statutory and common law.
What happens though when it is the state or the government itself that is violating the sacred social contract of life, liberty, and property? What happens when the state places itself as God, not seeing these rights to life, liberty, and property as “unalienable”, and not recognizing this “self-evident truth” according to Gods law? What happens when a government becomes so corrupt that they feel it is okay to imprison you for your thoughts, take your property because they feel they have a better use for it, or take your life because you disagree with them?
The United States Declaration of Independence has that answer, and it is what the founding fathers of the United States did. Here is a portion of what they wrote on July 4, 1776:
“When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.”
“That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, —That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.”
“But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.“
The founding fathers of the United States recognized it was their God-given right and duty to throw off their former government (Great Britain), and form their own government, which they did.
That said, they didn’t do this impulsively, nor did they take the decision lightly. It was carefully, debated, weighed, and considered. They also wrote:
“Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.“
Self-serving corrupt governments which benefit from violating the life, liberty, and property of free citizens typically don’t volunteer to relinquish such power. Such freedom from tyranny and abuse usually requires conflict, and the U.S. Revolutionary War was fought and won as a result. The maintenance of freedom requires ongoing assertions.
Here we are today, 245 years later, again asking the same questions, facing similar dilemmas as the founding fathers! Again, we find ourselves with an abusing government, no longer free, no longer “by the people and for the people”, but with a government taking property in ever increasing amounts, taking liberty and freedom in ever increasing amounts, and perverting the halls of the legislature and that of justice to increase its control over the property and liberty of its free citizens. History has shown it is only a matter of time before the government starts taking the lives of its free citizens, who are no longer free.
Consider these facts to get a sense of just how much freedom we have lost, how much our liberty and property have been invaded by the government (albeit slowly) over the years:
- The federal government steals roughly one-quarter (25%) of the production of its citizens via the federal income tax. In 1895, just 125 years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court declared that federal income taxes were ILLEGAL under the U.S. Constitution (Pollock vs. Farmers Loan Trust Co.). The 16th amendment, ratified in 1913, then permitted the direct taxation of citizens by the federal government. The protection from property theft by the government was eliminated with that amendment.
- Through social security taxes, the federal government steals 12.4% of the production of its citizens, with half paid by the employer, and half paid by the employee. Ultimately, it’s all paid by the employee via a lower paycheck. Social security is NOT an investment. It’s real rate of return is about 0%, whereas private investments would provide a real return of between 6% and 12% on average. The social security tax first appeared in 1935. Then in 1984, the government began taxing you on the social security payments, your own money they hand back to you in retirement!
- Between income taxes and social security taxes, the federal government is directly stealing over 37% of everything you produce! State governments steal another 10% or more from various taxes, bringing the total to about 47%. Add in Medicare taxes, which started in 1965, and the total is about 50%! 50% of the property you produce each year is stolen by the government who believes they can manage your money better than you! If you don’t give it to them, unpolite men in black suits threaten your freedom with guns! But we live in a free society, right?
- The 2nd amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees you a right to bear (to own) arms, a right that “shall not be infringed”. The word “infringe” means to “encroach upon”, “limit”, or “undermine”. Since that amendment was written, various levels of government have restricted the use of certain arms such as machine guns, and certain assault rifles. Several governments have limited mag cartridge’s to have no more than 10 rounds. Governments have required you to have permits to carry a gun, and to PAY THEM for that permit……in spite of the fact that you have a RIGHT to have the gun! A “right” means you DON’T need to ask permission! Now the federal government is discussing the taxation of guns that are owned by you, essentially turning “gun ownership” for which you have a right, into “gun rentals” where you have to pay the government each year or they repossess the gun! These are all forms of undermining and infringing on your rights, in spite of the fact that you have never harmed anyone with your gun! The first gun restrictions began appearing in 1934.
- In many communities, you must ask the local government for permission, paying them a fee in the process, to change your landscaping, your home’s paint color, or to remodel or put an addition on your own home. The property is YOURS!!!! In a free society, the OWNER of the property decides for the caretaking of it, NOT the government. In telling you what you can and can’t do with your own property, the government is essentially saying that they own it, not you. And they steal the fees for you to do something for which you, as the owner, already have the self-evident right to do! Prior to the 1900s, this was not the case! In fact, prior to the 1950s, this mostly wasn’t the case!
- Mike Huckabee, a famous politician and commentator, was arrested this past year in his own backyard (a private beach) while walking by himself without a Covid-19 facemask. The local health department is now telling FREE citizens what they can, and can’t, wear while on our own property! Who owns the property? Who owns, or has responsibility for, Mike’s health? Is it the government? Or is it him? In a free society, we can decide what we do with our life and our property. These violations of life and property began appearing in 2020. In prior pandemics such violations sporadically and temporarily appeared, but were revoked just as quickly. Vaccines and other incursions on one’s freedom of life/health were first seen in the 1800s.
- The 1st amendment to the U.S. Constitution states you have the right to free speech, that you can express privately or publicly your thoughts, ideas, opinions, differences, or agreements with whomever is willing to listen, and freely do so without threat of arrest or intimidation. It is doesn’t matter how unsupportive, offensive, repugnant, strange, abnormal, or discriminatory that speech is! Political speech is the MOST protected. In recent years, free citizens have been arrested for burning the American Flag (which I personally find repugnant, but they have a right to do it). Corporations have been threatened by the police and federal security agencies for disclosing the existence of search warrants they are served with, where search warrants themselves are government intrusions into private property rights! Today, we are hearing more and more calls to ban “hate speech”, whatever that is. Hate speech to one person is music to the ears of another, and vice versa. Usually, it falls under the “offensive” speech category, and as soon as we outlaw offensive speech, we further open the door to outlawing free speech!
In summary, in the past 125 or so years we have lost all control of 50% of our property, where we used to have 100% control. We have lost control of our God given constitutional rights which are being infringed upon every day, and will be much more so infringed upon with the incoming administration, based on their political promises. We are losing control of our own homes and healthcare, and our ability to freely travel in public places.
Is ANY of this what the framers of our U.S. Constitution had in mind when they outlined in that document the Biblical principle of free will, and John Locke’s definition of respect for Life, Liberty, and Property?
The very government institutions that are supposed to PROTECT our rights to Life, Liberty, and Property, have themselves become the ungodly aggressive vultures viscously feeding off them! Is it any wonder we have division and unrest in America?